Monday, November 10, 2014

Children's Earier Start to Learn a Foreign Language (TOEFL)


Should children start learning a foreign language very fast? There are many opinions for this question all over the world. I agree with that, and let me talk the reasons why I think so.

First, to start learning a foreign language earlier improve the children’s communication skills, especially listening and speaking skills. For instance, I started learning English for the first time when I was only 4 years old. It was the time I lived in US. I was too young and I had stayed there only for a year, so I don’t remember the days I stayed there. However, I’m good at English listening and pronunciation still now. In other words, the earlier children start learning a foreign language, the better their listening and speaking skills become.

Second, to start learning a foreign language earlier help the children to become familiar with it. For example, one of my friends who has lived Japan since she was born, has studied Thai. Actually, her mother is from Thailand, but she hasn’t been Thailand so many times. However, she started learning Thai when she was really young, so she is familiar with Thai as same as Japanese. On the other hands, many children who start learning English after they enter the junior high tend to dislike English because they consider it as an unfamiliar thing. In short, the earlier children start learning a foreign language, the more familiar they become with the foreign language.

In conclusion, I believe children should start learning a foreign language very early.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyoko! I enjoyed reading your blog and I agree with your opinion. Particularly, I think it is very important to be familiar with foreign languages. As you say, if we start learning foreign languages when we become adults, they are very unfamiliar to us. Therefore, children should start very early in order to be familiar with foreign language. By the way, I was surprised to know you stayed in U.S. for a year. I’m bad at listening and pronunciation so I envy you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Kyoko. I completely agree with your opinion.
    I think all sports, music instruments, or languages should be learned very early.
    Of course, adults can gain many things because they can use their experience when they practice something, but children can absorb everything with no prejudice.
    The flexibility makes their learning better.
    By the way, I didn’t know you were in U.S. It may be a nice experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Kyoko! I enjoyed reading your blog. I am surprised that you lived in the United States when you were 4 years old. Your pronunciation is great, so I can understand your idea easily. I haven’t been abroad, so I am jealous of you. If you have time, I want to talk about foreign countries with you!

    ReplyDelete